Welcome

We hope you'll find this to be a space where we share updated information about gluten-free living and eating AND where we all can share information, so please feel free to comment on posts or email us information you think should be included. Be sure to check out our sister site: BmoreGfree.com So that's that. Enjoy!


A Wake-Up Call for a Veteran Celiac...

The Story:

So, I went out to dinner tonight with my Uncle.  We returned to Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore.  The food, once again, was outstanding.  I even considered trying the gluten-free beer they offer: New Grist, but I didn't because I wasn't really in the mood for a beer.  Anyway, that's not really what I'm going to talk about.  What I want to talk about is the Gluten-Free Bread, and my wake-up call.  As we were sitting there--my Uncle was enjoying his thick slices of some medium brown untoasted bread, and I was enjoying my thin slices of toasted gluten-free bread--I offered a slice of gluten-free bread to my Uncle.  Now, I was thoroughly convinced that this bread was some of the best tasting gluten-free bread ever baked.  I could still be correct; however, apparently in comparison to "regular" bread, it doesn't even fall into a bread-like category.  The look on my Uncle's face was proof enough that I hadn't accidentally been served a plate of very thinly sliced "regular" bread.  It was at that moment that I realized just how far I've come.  I'm a veteran.  My ability to fully review gluten-free products can only be made in comparison to other gluten-free products.  I am so far removed from the world of gluten-filled foods that I can no longer compare "gluten-free" products with "gluten-filled" products.

I have not fully come to terms with this new realization.  What I have taken away from this experience, and would like to share with all newbies:  You will reach the point where the bread tastes normal and good.  I promise.   If you're questioning me, contact me after 5 years of consuming only gluten-free products.  At that point, if you still are having trouble with the bread, I probably won't have any advice for you, but I will find it fascinating that you've been able to maintain your sense of taste for that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails