Welcome

We hope you'll find this to be a space where we share updated information about gluten-free living and eating AND where we all can share information, so please feel free to comment on posts or email us information you think should be included. Be sure to check out our sister site: BmoreGfree.com So that's that. Enjoy!


What's The Status of Gluten in Baltimore?

"Food for Thought"
Baltimore Business Journal

Before I begin, I would like to say, that I fully support this good news in the Baltimore Business Journal; however, I want to remind everyone with Celiac Disease, that you do not have a food allergy to gluten.  You have an autoimmune disorder.  Your body attacks itself when gluten enters it.  Gluten to a person with Celiac Disease is like a poison, and your body is trying to eliminate the poison.  In the process, it ends up attacking itself (which is where all the nasty symptoms come from)

Now, I have used the old explanation technique at restaurants: "I have an allergy to gluten, and since it's not good business to have an ambulance in front of a restaurant, please do check with the chef to verify that the food will be gluten free..."  To most people the words "food allergy" make sense and demonstrate that I mean business.  No restaurant wants to have their food kill someone.  Now, I won't die immediately upon ingesting gluten (they don't need to know that); but my risk for dying from colon cancer and other horrible things increases exponentially if I do eat gluten.  Also, I just don't like to feel nauseated, have diarrhea, severe pain in my abdomen, etc...  It's not worth the gluten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails