Welcome

We hope you'll find this to be a space where we share updated information about gluten-free living and eating AND where we all can share information, so please feel free to comment on posts or email us information you think should be included. Be sure to check out our sister site: BmoreGfree.com So that's that. Enjoy!


Monica's Goes Grocery Shopping and We Get Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I started my week with a trip to the grocery store.  Yup, the regular ol' grocery store: SuperFresh.  They don't have a large selection of specifically gluten-free products, but they do have my weekly staples.

I write the items on my list in the order in which I will walk around the store; it helps me to avoid the unnecessary purchases (like candy and potato chips).  Also, since I've started to walk to and from the store, I like to make the trip as quick as possible.
 
So here it is:  The list...
(Directly from my hot pink post-it note):
  • Soy milk (I still cannot drink cow's milk.  Thank you, gut...) -- Silk brand (I've tried other brands and for me this one tastes the best.)
  • Rice Pudding -- Kozy Shack
  • Yogurt -- Dannon or Yoplait brands are labeled Gluten Free!
  • Cream cheese--Philadelphia
  • Corn tortillas – Pepito
  • Eggs
  • Lunch meat – Oscar Mayer (Lucky me!  It's on sale this week!)
  • Canned Black beans -- Goya or Hanover
  • Tomato Soup -- Pacific
  • Canned tuna -- Chicken of the Sea
  • Canned chicken – Valley Fresh, read the label, it should say GF, if it doesn't, err on not trying it.
  • Rice Chex Cereal -- General Mills
  • Peanut Butter--Jif Brand, but I also have 'natural' versions of peanut butter that are just as delicious and w/o the extra stabilizers and stuff, but Jif is the best to make my favorite cookies!
  • Banana
  • Pear

There are plenty of items that I already have in the pantry and freezer that I can add to this week's staples for my meals.  What's already in the pantry and freezer:
  • Frozen broccoli and spinach -- store brand
  • Whole Foods Bakehouse -- pizza crust and sandwich bread
  • Glutino bagels
  • Canned diced tomatoes (usually less expensive and won't spoil) -- store brand
  • Bag of potatoes
  • Bag of onions
  • Fresh garlic and ginger
  • Corn meal – Quaker
  • Premade polenta – Sun of Italy
  • Brown Rice
  • Rice noodles (found in the Asian section of the store)
  • Pasta -- DeBoles Corn or Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta products
  • Grits – store brand or Quaker
  • Marinara sauce – Rinaldi original or marinara
  • Goya's canned tuna stuffed olives (I love Goya!)
  • Cook and serve pudding – jello
  • Tortilla chips – Utz, Tostitos
  • Salsa – many kinds, Mrs. Renfro’s is my current favorite (read the label, it should say GF, if it doesn't, err on not trying it.)
  • Tofu – NaSoya
  • Canned pineapple -- store brand
  • Ground flax seed -- Bob’s Red Mill
  • Nature Valley Roasted Nut Crunch (It's a new find for me and it's a great price, compared to other bars)
  • Lara bars -- all the flavors are good
  • Carnation Instant Breakfast (dark chocolate, all flavors but malt are ok)
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 c. Peanut Butter
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 Tbs. GF vanilla flavoring -- McCormick
4 eggs
1 bag chocolate chips -- Nestle
 
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients together. Drop 1" spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly browned. Cool and Enjoy.
 
We baked these cookies at Christmas and I took them to my Super Bowl party. No one knew the difference. It was fun to see the reactions of family and friends when I told them the cookies were gluten free!
 
Gluten Free doesn't mean that you have to give up what you really love. It gives you a license to be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails