Welcome

We hope you'll find this to be a space where we share updated information about gluten-free living and eating AND where we all can share information, so please feel free to comment on posts or email us information you think should be included. Be sure to check out our sister site: BmoreGfree.com So that's that. Enjoy!


From the Desk of Christine

Hello all!

I’ve been gluten-free since 2005 when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. My first thought when I heard I’d have to follow a gluten-free diet was, “what would I eat?” Gluten was a staple for me. Back then I maintained the gluten-rich diet of a broke graduate student. My pantry was stocked with Pop-tarts, Nutri-grain bars, Ramen noodles, and assorted cookies and crackers.

It was actually the week of final exams when my doctor confirmed for me that I had celiac disease. So in addition to cramming for statistics, research methods and environmental epidemiology exams, I was also trying to cram into my head the overwhelmingly long list of ingredients that were now off-limits: wheat, durum, semolina, farina, bulgur, barley, malt, modified food starch and more.

My first gluten-free meal was rice pasta with marinara sauce straight from a jar. It was basically a two-ingredient meal, but it had taken me over an hour to wander the aisles of the grocery store and come up with something suitable for dinner that I was sure was also gluten-free. Although I overcooked the pasta and turned it into mush, for the first time in years, my stomach didn’t hurt that night.

Since 2005, I finished grad school, traveled across the country and across the pond to London, had a baby, and moved three times, from Connecticut to North Carolina and last year to Baltimore, Maryland, all of it gluten-free.

I now make a mean pasta Bolognese and never overcook my noodles.

I’m excited to be a part of this blog and the community of gluten-free and gluten-friendly folks in the Baltimore area. 

-Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails